Monday, September 8, 2008

A Gray Day

Today was one of those days that I couldn't wait until it was over. Ever have one of those? Personally I do not like feeling blue....so I called one of my children to cheer her up (she had a bike accident today). As I sought for words to encourage her - guess what happened? I received encouragement. After hanging up the phone I was reminded of a story (it might have been in Guideposts) of a woman who was riding in an airplane. Looking out the window on one side of the plane she saw storm clouds and a darkened sky, but on the other side of the plane it was sunny and bright. She commented that life is like that. We can look at the dark circumstances in our lives and focus on them or we can choose to look at the bright side and be thankful for our blessings.

I Thessalonians 5:18 Thank God in everything (no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks) for this is the will of God for you who are in Christ.

I don't think this verse means we thank God because something bad happens, just that He wants us to be thankful for who He is, and what He has done for us, even in the midst of trying times.

Sometimes when things are not going well, I pick up a newspaper. As I look at the headlines about the crimes, chaos and disasters I thank God that as bad as my day has been, it could have been worse.

Which side of the plane are you looking out of today?

1 comment: